Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla 1974 Film Review


Godzilla fans it's been over four months since I last talked about anything to do with the king of monsters and well i'm rectifying that right now. I fully admit I wasn't planning on taking a look at this film but I couldn't think of anything else to review and so here we are , from what I can gather this is one of the more darker seventies Godzilla films which is something that I will get into later on in the review and so here is my review of the 1974 film "Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla" enjoy the review monster and Godzilla fans.

The plot of the film is Aliens have created a robot version of Godzilla and use it to try destroy the world and so it's up to Godzilla and an ancient protector of a royal bloodline called King Caesar to defeat Mechagodzilla once and for all. In my opinion the plot of the film isn't that bad with the story offering a new angle with the fact that the villains are aliens which is a plot idea that would get revisited several times in the Godzilla film franchise and it helps that the story of this film is honestly really well told in my opinion.


Starring in the film is Masaaki Daimon as Keisuke Shimizu , Kazuya Aoyama as Masahiko Shimizu and Reiko Tajima as Saeko Kanagusuku. Also starring in the film is Bellbella Lin (Hsiu-Ying Cheng) as Nami Kunigami and Azumi Princess , Hiromi Matsushita as Ikuko Miyajima , Akihiko Hirata as Professor Hideto Miyajima , Hiroshi Koizumi as Professor Wagura , Goro Mutsumi as Black Hole Alien Leader Kuronuma , Isao Zushi as Godzilla and Kazunari Mori as Mechagodzilla.

As for what I thought about the acting in the film it honestly wasn't that bad but at the same time it wasn't that good either. For me the acting in the film was a very mixed bag since for every actor that turned in a good performance in this film there are a few more that turned in bad performances in this film which honestly makes it very hard for to judge the overall quality of the acting that's in this film but that's just what I think so.


I honestly like the design of Mechagodzilla not only does he look so much like the real Godzilla but everything about his design just screams futuristic. Which given that he's being built by aliens makes sense what really helps sell to me that this version of Godzilla is a robot is the fact that even when he / it is disguised as the real Godzilla the movements of the character are still very robotic plus I find it cute that he has his initials somewhere on his body.

What was honestly really freaking odd is that after this really intense opening sequence the music that they have play over the opening is really cheerful and happy and upbeat. Talk about tonal whiplash why the makers of this film couldn't pick something that was more fitting for the tone of the movie I really don't know because with the music that they went with they create tonal whiplash since the prologue is very dark and very intense and then  the opening titles come on and there very upbeat and dare I say child friendly.


I honestly wasn't expecting the film to be as gory as it was you see Godzilla bleed alot and you Mechagodzilla dislocate the jaw of Anguirus which then of course causes Anguirus to bleed quite a bit. That's just from the monsters because on the human side of things we see people getting shot and dying from gun shot wounds all of these are things that we would never have seen in any of the earlier Godzilla films.


This film actually has the honor of being the second to last film in Shōwa era of Godzilla film with the next film in the franchise being the last film in the Shōwa era of Godzilla films. I fully admit i've never seen any of the Godzilla films from late into a certain era and hell I only watched this film just because I was bored and so I would have been glad if this film was the final film in the Shōwa era of Godzilla films just because they would have gone out with a bang in my opinion.

This film has a total running time of one hour and twenty four minuets which oddly feels about right for this film. Since there's not much there in terms of story or character anyways and so to produce anything longer then that would only serve to highlight the films issues rather then help serve the story in my opinion and it does help that the film honestly has some really good pacing at least for the most part since there is a small portion of the film, that feels like it's dragging but that's only a small portion of the film tho and not the majority or even the whole film.


Now then boys and girls we all know that you want to hear what I thought of the action that's in this film so i'll tell you. In my opinion the action in this film is honestly pretty freaking good i'm not going to lie and say that's amazing because it honestly but for the time in the franchise that this film was being produced the action looked really good with for me the best action sequence being the one where Godzilla and Mechagodzilla first meet just because they found a way for both characters to knock each other out which to me only goes to show you how strong Mechagodzilla is.


Overall this was honestly a really good film at least when it wanted to be it was and while I don't know what the Godzilla fanbase thinks of this film I honestly liked it. I won't say that it's my favourite of the franchise since that honour for now at least goes to the 1954 film Gojira but this film is most likely in my top five but the film does have some faults with it and so it gets a 7 out of 10 from me. As for where I got these lovely images from well I got them from either the official Godzilla fandom wiki page and Google Images and I honestly have no idea which website you should use since while Google Images has more of a verity of images the official Godzilla fandom wiki page has more high quality images so use whichever website you want to use if you want to use images from either this film or any Godzilla film.














 

Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts