Prometheus Review


Film fans i've not seen that many films in the Alien franchise outside of Alien 2 , this film , the first AVP and Alien: Covenant and that's it. So I don't really have that much investment in this franchise and I don't really get why alien fans don't like this prequel that much either because in my opinion it's a fine prequel , I honestly find the production of this film to be alot more interesting then the film itself and i'll get into that later on in the review and so here is my review of Prometheus.

The plot of the movie is a group of scientists land on a planet hoping to find out where the human race came from and instead end up in a deadly battle. In all honesty the plot of the film isn't that bad but it's also far to simple in parts and far more complicated in others and there are things in the film which when you think about it for even a second just make the characters look dumb and that's not what you want in your super serious movie.


Starring in the film is Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw , Michael Fassbender as David , Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers , Idris Elba as Janek , Guy Pearce as Peter Weyland , Logan Marshall-Green as Charlie Holloway , Sean Harris as Fifield , Rafe Spall as Millburn , Kate Dickie as Ford , Emun Elliott as Chance , Benedict Wong as Ravel , Patrick Wilson as Shaw's father and Ian Whyte and Daniel James as Engineers.

Say what you want about this film but this film is cast pretty freaking perfectly and alot of that is due to the fact that one of the people casting the film is Nina Gold who's cast things like Game Of Thrones and the recent Star Wars films. In terms of the acting it's honestly really freaking good all of the actors in this film are clearly trying heck I can't think of a single actor who hasn't turned in a bad performance in this film that's how good it is.


What I remember most about the film actually has nothing to do with the film itself it's to do with the making of the film. When this film was first announced it was announced as a prequel to Alien but then somewhere along the line it became a film set in the Alien world and then it was something unrelated to Alien but have some of the Alien DNA and the only reason I remember it is because know one knew what this film was even today I can't tell you if it's a straight up prequel or what and it's now becoming the same thing with the James Gunn Suicide Squad reboot /sequel.

This was something that I didn't know when watching the film but when doing some research for this review I found out some pretty big effects companies did the CGI for this film with the most famous being WETA Digital. I had no idea that they were doing some of the effects for this film but it makes sense since the CGI effects are honestly really well done but don't ask me who did what effect because I have no idea.


I will admit that this film can indeed be boring at times mostly whenever there's long scenes just about the science behind things. Like I said before fans of the Alien might not like this film since it is a prequel but that's why I like it because it serves as a great jumping of point and i'm sure there are other reasons as to why Alien fans might hate the film tho but outside of a few things wrong with the film I can't think of any solid reason as to why they would.

One of those things that really hurt the film in my opinion is the fact that the characters can at times act really freaking stupid. Like for example when the characters find out there's no danger in the air they take of there helmets without taking into account that the air could still be lethal to humans , another example is the the Rafe Spall character gets so close to an Alien life form without knowing if it could kill him or not but those are just two examples there are many more.


This might not come as a huge surprise because i'm a fan of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I really loved the character of Elizabeth Shaw. To me she was an interesting character and the fact that her lover is there to me makes her pain feel all the more reel and that's not something that i've seen in a horror movie but there's a chance that i'm wrong but I would loose the Christian angel tho since it adds nothing to the film and to the character but that's just me.

Ridley Scott is known for his attention to detail be it in the story or in the set design whatever there's always a lot of detail. Which is present here all of the sets do look impressive and they look like they belong in that world the issue is when it comes to details in the story it feels like i'd get a bit more out of it if I was a fan of the Alien franchise and had seen every single film rather then the four i've actually seen.


Now when this film wants to be scary it's terrifying like for example the operation scene is perhaps the best scene in the whole film and it's because of how well done the suspense in that sequence is. Sadly tho the film for the most part isn't that scary at least in my opinion which if this was any other film i'd forgive it but this is a from a franchise which has a freaking scary first film (or so i'm told) so I can't really forgive it for not delivering on the fear factor.


Overall I really did like this film but I can admit that the film does indeed have some faults and yes I do think that this is the perfect jumping of point for anyone wanting to get into this franchise and no matter what we think about this film we can at least agree that it's better then Alien: Covenant and so the film gets a 7 out of 10 from me.



  


Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts