The Secret Life Of Pets 2 Review


Animation fans as you'll know I was a huge fan of The Secret Life Of Pets and I was really looking forward to seeing the sequel. When I mean excited I really mean excited I payed attention to every bit of news released for the film and when they were dropping trailers I subscribed to there twitter page so I got updates whenever a new piece of footage dropped which happened alot and so here is my review of The Secret Life Of Pets 2.

The plots of this film is Max and Duke go on a family trip , Gidgit has to try and get Max's favourite toy back and Snowball rescues a tiger. I know that I just told you three different plot lines and that's because there are three different stories all going on at the same time and having multiple stories doesn't work for this franchise at all the film would have been much better if the film just focused on one story.


Now of course Louis C.K. wasn't brought back due to reasons i'm not going to say and so replacing him is Patton Oswalt as Max with other returning characters being Eric Stonestreet as Duke , Kevin Hart as Snowball , Jenny Slate as Gidget , Lake Bell as Chloe , Dana Carvey as Pops , Ellie Kemper as Katie , Chris Renaud as Norman , Hannibal Buress as Buddy , Bobby Moynihan as Mel and Tara Strong as Sweetpea.

Joining the cast in this film is Tiffany Haddish as Daisy , Nick Kroll as Sergei , Pete Holmes as Chuck , Meredith Salenger as Crazy Cat Lady , Henry Lynch as Liam and Harrison Ford as Rooster. My usual tactic here is just list of who's important to the plot but there's three stories and alot of the characters are important to each of the plots. In terms of what I thought about the acting from the returning actors minus Patton it's pretty decent but it doesn't feel like a step up from the last film , Patton on the other hand feels like he's actually trying and as for the new actors there were pretty decent but nothing special.


Of course the animation was done by Illumination Entertainment and for a kids film it was honestly pretty good. That being said tho like the acting it doesn't feel like a step up from the first one it feels like it's on par with the first film and that's not what you want from a sequel you want to see things improved and that's not what were getting in this film and that does honestly make me feel sad due to me love of the first film.

Having three stories is a huge issue for me because of the fact that the first one works and that film just has ONE story so why this film chose to have three is truly beyond me. What kind of annoys me is that at least two of three stories that I mentioned could have very easily have been it's own movie but because it's been pushed into this one it means that it's not given the attention that it should have got.


If anything this film felt like it would have worked better as third entry in the series rather then a second just because there's something that happens to Max and Duke that comes out of know where but if it was in a third film it would have felt more natural. I will give this film this it lives up to it's name better then the first film did but that said I very much preferred the first film because there was one goal and not several goals.

What really is shocking is that Tara Strong isn't in this movie for that long she's only in one scene and have very few lines of dialog so it makes me wonder why they brought her back just for that one scene and that's not a spoiler since it doesn't effect the plot. As well as giving Max a new voice it seems like they also gave a him a new personality which at first I was quite angry about but the more I thought about it the more I realised that it makes sense in terms of the story.


Let's take a second to talk about the new character Daisy she's a character that I can see alot of little kids liking but for i'm not the biggest fan of her. To me she's like Gidgit but with none of the charm or humour I will give the character this tho from a design point of view she looks good and she could have made a solid love interest for Snowball but if they do make a third film and they do include her she needs to be improved.

Let's carry on this trend of talking about the new characters Rooster outside of being in Max's story does nothing in the whole film at all. That is a huge shame because there's a lot of potential with that character and even the Wikipedia page hints at something that doesn't even happen in the film which is a shame because that would have made that story much more interesting that what it actually was and it would have made great use of Han Solo.


Like the previous film this one is made for little kids and with little kids in mind but unlike the first film where they got away with sneaking in a few adult jokes this film on the other hand doesn't do any of that. That's not to say that the jokes in this film aren't funny in fact there are one or two really funny jokes in this but there's a lot more jokes that aren't funny and that is something that hurts the film pretty badly.


Overall this is a very underwhelming sequel but it's also a film that I can see alot people kids especially liking but for me the film gets a 5 out of 10 from me. 






Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts