Carry On Cabby Review


Films fans you know me I almost usually review recent or if not recent at least films that I either like or would watch growing up. That's not the case for this film because while it is part of a franchise that I would sometimes watch but since there's a lot of films in this series and each film is different I havn't seen every film heck i've not even seen the film i'm about to review all the way through until this review so here is my review of Carry On Cabby.

The plot of the movie is workaholic Taxi cab owner Charlie is neglecting his wife who then decides to get her own back on him by starting up her own Taxi company. Plot wise the film doesn't hold up that well just because of the fact there are no cab companies in the UK anymore well at least not here in Manchester however I can see the plot being very enjoyable back when the film first came out in 1963.


Starring in the film was Sid James as Charlie Hawkins , Hattie Jacques as Peggy Hawkins , Charles Hawtrey as Terry "Pintpot" Tankard , Kenneth Connor as Ted Watson , Esma Cannon as Flo Sims , Bill Owen as Smiley Sims , Jim Dale as Expectant father , Renée Houston as Molly and Amanda Barrie as Anthea. I don't expect alot of you younger people to know any of these names heck I myself barely know them but I do know of Bill Owen and I have seen a few Carry On films so I can fairly say that the acting in the film is pretty spot on and alot of the actors are really funny.

Out of all the film made under the Carry On name this is the one that seems to get alot of repeats on TV and for the life of me I have no idea why. There are many better Carry On films out there and yet for some reason TV companies choose to repeat this one I wouldn't mind it as much if the film didn't have sexist over tones and I know that the film was made in a different time but I can't help but judge it by today's standards.


If your a fan of the Carry On films then you'll be interested to know that this is the first film written by Carry On writer Talbot Rothwell and is the seventh in the franchise. Just to give you an idea of how many films this franchise has it has a total of thirty one films spanning many decades so to say that there's alot of films would be an understatement but the thing is these films are huge over here in the UK so to me it makes sense that there would be alot of them.

The Carry On films are known for being representative of Britain in whatever time the current film is being made. So with that in mind I have to wonder what the heck was going on when this film was being made was there really a bunch of cab drivers going to war with each other because if so then that sounds really funny.


I'm sorry that this review isn't as detailed as my other reviews but the fact is there really isn't that much to talk about and i'm not going to pad out any review. Since this is a comedy we have to talk about the jokes in the film for me there are some jokes that would have worked back when this film came out but just aren't funny now. At the same time however there are some pretty funny jokes alot more then what I was honestly expecting there to be and that for me is always going to be a good thing.


Overall this isn't a bad film and once again i'm sorry that this review isn't as detailed as my other reviews but the fact is there really isn't that much to talk about in this film and believe me I freaking tried and so even tho this film is funny it's very much a product of it's time so it gets a 5.5 out of 10 from me.



   

Comments

  1. Lovely review. I love all of the carry on's but this is definitely one of my favourites. Great to see the cast clearly having fun in their roles. Sid is on top form, while Hattie proves she is a force to be reckoned with. The other cast also get a chance to shine. Liz Frazer, Kenneth Conner, Amanda Barrie, Esma Cannon and Jim Dale to name but a few all add to the enjoyable film. Altogether an hilarious piece of cinematic gold.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts