The Silent Child Review


Now then movie fans you all know me I very very rarely talk about short films but tho there's one short film that I think needs to be talked about not just by the British but by everyone and that film is The Silent Child.

The plot of this movie is The Silent Child centers around a profoundly deaf four year old girl named Libby who is born into a middle class family and lives in a world of silence until a caring social worker teaches her the gift of communication. I have to say that the story was one of many things that I found to be truly moving and this is actually inspired by true events and it was very easy to follow and it's pacing isn't that bad.


The film stars it's writer Rachel Shenton and six year old Maisie Sly and I have to give the makers of the film credit for not only having the guts to tell this story but for also casting a deaf kid actress in the lead role. Both of the leads are really fantastic in this film and they both have such great chemistry honestly there's nothing more I can say about the acting in the film since it really is that good.

Now what I wasn't expecting from this film was for it to be full of emotion and have emotional moments I legit got chocked up by the ending and that very rarely happens to me but it happened here and I think that's because the story was so well told and the acting was so good that I couldn't help but get sucked into that world.


I have to commend the makers of the film for having the dialog for at least 50% of the film be in British Sign Language (BSL) I cannot think of a single film that has ever done that and i'm glad that they had the guts to do something different and creative and it helps you get inside the kids head at times as well as at times we get to see things from her point of view.

I do have one minor issue with the film tho and when I say minor I really do mean it there are times during the films opening that the credits blend with the background which isn't good because I wanted to see how had a hand in making this film and I could barely make out there names they could have at least have made the credits a different color or something.


Overall this is a fantastic short film and i'm glad BBC 1 aired it so if your in the UK you can watch it right now on BBC Iplayer if your anywhere else in the world then i'm sorry but I cannot find where you can watch it but the film gets a 9.5 out of 10 from me.


Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts