Christopher Robin Film Review

 


Disney fans it seems that in 2018 the company really wanted to make sequels that made you remember what it was like to be a kid again. Since not only did they release Mary Poppins Returns but they also released a sequel to the animated Winnie The Pooh franchise as well and just like with Mary Poppins Returns I saw this film when it was first released in 2018 however unlike Mary Poppins Returns i've only seen this film the once and so join me as I review the 2018 Winnie The Pooh film "Christopher Robin" enjoy.

The plot of the film is Christopher Robin has now grown up and after a stressful day at work he suddenly sees Winnie The Pooh and so begins a quest to reunite Winnie The Pooh with his friends and for Christopher Robin to remember what it's like to be a kid again. In all honesty the plot of the film is perfect for these characters since it's a simple story and that's perfect for these characters since these characters demand simple plots.


Starring in the film is Ewan McGregor as Christopher Robin , Hayley Atwell as Evelyn Robin and Bronte Carmichael as Madeline Robin. Also starring in the film is the voice acting legend legend that is Jim Cummings as Winnie The Pooh and Tigger , Brad Garrett as Eeyore , Nick Mohammed as Piglet , Peter Capaldi as Rabbit , Sophie Okonedo as Kanga , Sara Sheen as Roo , Toby Jones as Owl and Mark Gatiss as Giles Winslow.

As for what I thought about the acting in the film it was honestly just as good as I remember it being with all of the live action actors giving some truly good performances. However where this film shines acting wise is in the performances of the voice cast since all of the voice actors in this film give great performances of course Jim Cummings is great as both Winnie The Pooh and Tigger but so is Brad Garret who puts on a voice that is simply fitting for the character of Eeyore altho I will admit the voice that Nick Mohammed uses as Piglet really doesn't fit the character at all in my opinion but that's just what I think tho if you like the voice that Nick Mohammed uses as Piglet then great for you but I just don't like Piglet's voice in this film.


Doing the CGI for the film are Framestore , Iloura and Lola Visual Effects , now this is something that I didn't know but Jim Henson's Creature Shop worked on this film. As for what I thought about the CGI in this film it was honestly really good with all of the hundred acre wood characters looking really good of course nothing will top there animated designs but the looks that they went with for this film work well in the films favour if you ask me. 

The only think that I can think that the Jim Henson's Creature Shop did for the film is that they built real life versions of the hundred acre wood characters but I could be wrong. If that is the case then I have to wonder which scenes feature the real life versions of the characters and which scenes feature the animated versions because they blend so smoothly together that you cannot tell what was there on the set to what was made in a computer.


Now I know that i've just mentioned the design for the characters but I feel that I have to go into greater length. I honestly don't mind that they made the characters look like actual teddy bears since it adds to the idea of "Did Christopher Robin Make Up These Characters And There Adventures" and so in that regard it does make sense that they would look like actual teddy bears but at the same time since there animated characters anyway why didn't they just give the hundred acre wood characters there's usual designs and appearences there's really no need to change how the characters look for this film in my opinion.


One of the few things that this film gets wrong (with one of the other things being the design of the characters) is the fact that they made Tigger to dumb. I'm not going to lie and say that Tigger was the smartest one there because he wasn't however this film makes him far to dumb and that to me feels out of character Tigger isn't obsessed with bouncing all the time and he knows when to bounce and when not to bounce but this film makes him as a dumb as rock and for some strange reason they make Winnie The Pooh the smarter one out of him and Tigger even tho Pooh's nickname is the bear with very little brain.

This film has a running time of one hour and forty three minuets and fifty five seconds which given the films story feels a little bit on the long side in my opinion. I honestly feel that the makers of this film could have given this film a running time of one hour and thirty minuets and nothing of importance would have been lost but given the films running time of one hour and forty three minuets and fifty five seconds the film does feel a little bit on the long side in my opinion.


Now then boys and girls this is a comedy and so that means that I have to talk about the jokes that are in the film. Which to me felt very character driven which I kind of liked and I say kind of since while there are some funny jokes with Winnie The Pooh alot of the other characters both human and animated get very little actual funny lines to say as such the jokes in this film can be seen as very hit and miss but when they do make a funny joke it really does land and it lands hard in my humble opinion.


Overall this is a really good and heartfelt film in my opinion but I will admit that the film does have some faults tho. These faults have been covered in this review but they are still issues none the less but the film does have a lot of good things going for it as well hell even the idea of having a grown up Christopher Robin is a good idea as such this film gets a 7.5 out of 10 from me and as for where I got the images that I used in this review well I got them from the official Disney fandom wiki page and since I only went to one website for the images that I used in this review I have no choice but to recommend that you use the official Disney fandom wiki page if you want to use images from this film or from anything to do with the Disney version of Winnie The Pooh or the Disney version of the Hundred Acre Wood characters I also used the official Disney fandom wiki page because all of the images on the official Disney fandom wiki page are very high quality.



















Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts