Upside Down Magic Film Review


Guys and girls I very rarely review a Disney Channel Original Movie mostly because alot of them just aren't worth watching or just don't interest me. However with no new films being released for the foreseeable future I thought that now was the right time to take a look at a Disney Channel Original film and as look would have it a new one has been broadcast and so here is my review of the newest Disney Channel Original Movie "Upside Down Magic" enjoy.

Now here I would normally tell what the plot of the movie is as well as you give you my thoughts on the story. However the film did me a huge favour and decided not to include one I mean there is a sort of plot revolving around one of the students learning dark magic but that storyline is so thin that it might as well not even be there which is a shame because that honestly is a really interesting it's just a shame that the film is more focused on having random stuff happening for no reason then telling an actually good story.


Starring in the film is Izabela Rose as Nory Horace , Siena Agudong as Reina Carvajal and Vicki Lewis as Headmaster Knightslinger. Also starring in the film is Kyle Howard as Budd Skriff , Elie Samouhi as Elliot Cohen , Alison Fernandez as Pepper , Max Torina as Andres Padillo , Cynthia Kaye McWilliams as Professor Argon , Elaine Kao as Professor Han , Yasmeen Fletcher as Chandra , Amitai Marmorstein as Professor Lewis and Callum Seagraim Arlie as Phillip.

For a Disney Channel original Movie the acting in this film is fairly decent at best which is me being very freaking kind by the way. There are no actors in this film who I can see having a future in acting in films which is something that I always try and look for when watching these movies and alot of that boils down to the fact that kid actors in this film just aren't that good yes they will most likely get better as time goes on but for this film yikes.


One of the biggest issues that I had with this film is that it's setting doesn't look like something you'd see in a magic fantasy film. If you take a look at say Hogwarts from the Harry Potter film series then you know that your looking at something from a magic film whereas here just from the above picture it looks like something that you'd see in a drama and not something that you would associate with magic which for me is a huge issue.

I'm a little bit easier on the CGI in the film which was done by Spin VFX simply because this is a TV movie. As such the budget isn't going to be that high when it comes to creating good effects and for what it's worth with the money that they had the effects team did pull f some fairly decent looking effects it's just a shame that all of there effort was put into a pretty bad movie and not something that should be on the big screen.


Now I want it known that I didn't go into this film wanting to hate it far from it in fact I wanted to like the film but it gave me almost nothing to like. Part of that is because the setup is so predictable I knew where the story was going when the film was about five or ten minuets in and it played out exactly how I thought it would which made the film boring to watch because I knew how the film was going to end which is never a good thing.

This to me feels like a film that should have been made five years ago or around the time that the Harry Potter film were coming out. Simply because at that point the world was wizard mad and so it would have been a home run for Disney but nope they chose to release the film when the world has no new Harry Potter films being made and when no new YA novels are being turned into films and so what should have been a slam dunk instead feels like someone who's trying to cool and fit in with the kids without realising what's good about something they like.


This film is an hour and thirty seven minuets long which honestly for a Disney Channel movie is alot longer then what it really needs to be. If anything this movie should have been and very easily could have been an hour and twenty minuets or even an hour and a half and nothing would be lost so why they chose to add in those extra seven minuets is truly beyond me since nothing of importance is added to the film and it only makes the film drag on.

Now then for those that don't know this film is based on the book of the same name by Sarah Mlynowski , Lauren Myracle and Emily Jenkins. There are currently seven books in the series with an eighth due out soon and as someone who hasn't read or even heard of the books I cannot say for sure if this is a good adaptation or not but I can say that based of this film i'm not even interested in reading the books because this movie has put me off seeing more from this world or this franchise that's how bad the film is.


The characters in this film are just so bland and so uninteresting that it makes it hard for me to care about them. That is perhaps the films biggest issue because it's very character driven and so when you don't give me a reason to care about these characters or make them interesting then the whole thing starts to fall apart which is a shame because on paper this film could have worked there just wasn't any care put into making the characters interesting or making sure the audience cares enough about them that they want to see them succeed.


Overall I cannot say that is a good movie nor can I say that it's a good Disney Channel Original Movie it's just average. Which while that may be good enough for some it's something that shouldn't be the case especially when the film could and should have been so much better yes there are good things to be found in this film but there are so much more bad things in the film as such this film gets a 5 out of 10 from me and that is a very kind score.

All images used in this review were gathered from either the Disney fandom wiki page or the Upside Down Magic fandom wiki page. I have to say that the high definition images are perhaps the best thing about the whole movie simply because I wasn't expecting to be as HD as they are and as such I highly recommend using either website if you want some HD images from this film and I will say that one of the images does seem to be a spoiler but i've not used that images in this review. 






Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts