Artemis Fowl Film Review


Disney fans we are in a time right now where there are very little new films being released well the company has just released a new film on Disney+. Like a lot of films this one was due tor release on the big screen which for reasons you all know about didn't happen and given the reviews for this film that's most likely a good thing however that's not going to stop me from giving you my thoughts on the film and so here is my review of "Artemis Fowl" and just so you all know im not fan of nor have I heard of or read any of the books so yeah enjoy.

The plot of the film is Artemis Fowl Senior is arrested and it's up to his son Artemis Fowl II to clear his fathers name all the while trying to find a mythical item that will save his fathers life. I honestly think that the plot is for a kids film pretty hard to follow since your always wondering how much does this kid actually know which while it could be true to the spirit of the books it doesn't make the story of the film any fun to see play out.


Starring in the film is Ferdia Shaw as Artemis Fowl II , Lara McDonnell as Holly Short and Tamara Smart as Juliet Butler. Also starring in the film is an unrecognisable Josh Gad as Mulch Diggums , Nonso Anozie as Domovoi "Dom" Butler , Colin Farrell as Artemis Fowl I , Hong Chau as Opal Koboi , Nikesh Patel as Foaly , Joshua McGuire as Briar Cudgeon and shockingly Dame Judi Dench as Commander Julius Root.

The acting I honestly feel is the best thing about the film which given who's involved isn't really a big surprise. What was a big surprise tho was finding out that Josh Gad is in the film and I say that because you don't recognise him at all since he doesn't use his normal voice and is covered in tons of makeup and he turns in a really good performance in my opinion and the same goes for three new comers those being Ferdia Shaw , Lara McDonnell and Tamara Smart who just based of this film have bright futures ahead of them.


Doing the CGI for the film is Framestore , BUF , Moving Picture Company and Industrial Light & Magic. Yeah the effects in this film are at best OK since for every good effect that's in the film it's very quickly followed by two or three bad ones which is a shame because all of these companies have produced great effects in the past and so I have t wonder why couldn't they do it for this movie it really is beyond me.

Usually when I complain about a film's running time it's because it's far to long however this film has the opposite problem it's far to short. There's alot of stuff in here that's just brushed aside because the film has to hit these plot points and because of that the film and the characters suffer and so I honestly feel that the film should have been at the very least two hours long just so the story would have more room to breathe and so the characters wouldn't suffer.


Now when the trailer for the 2019 remake of Aladdin came out I honestly thought that the movie looked cheap as hell well now i've actually seen a movie that looks even cheaper then that movie. Since this movie cost $125 million dollars to make and you don't see where the money was spent at all if i'm being honest this movie looks like an expensive Disney Channel Original Movie which look cheap at the best of the times.

How this movie got that high of a budget I don't know since this movie could have been made for $10 to $50 million dollars. There's nothing in this movie that commands a high budget at all none of the actors are expensive they only have three main locations one of which is mostly done in a studio and the film features very little CGI so again I have t wonder why does the film have a high budget it's not really needed.


Now I want it known that I don't condone how I personally watched the film and given that i've just said I don't condone how I watched it you can guess how I watched the film. I say this because on the copy that I watched the sound cuts of twenty minuets from the end and so I have to wonder who thought that it was a good idea to upload a version of the movie to the internet where the sounds cuts of near the end of the movie surely that defeats the purpose of uploading the whole film. 

Now as you may recall at the start of the review I said that the film was due to be released in cinema's it was due to be released on May 29th of this year. I have to say that releasing the movie onto Disney+ was a great move since this movie is so bad it would have ended up loosing money for the company which given there financial situation right now is not something that they can afford to do plus this way we get more films being released which is just not happening right now.


Sadly this is kind of a mystery and I have to say kind because of that missing twenty minuets of sound but if it was a mystery then it's a bad one. Simply because that element gets lost in all of the big action set pieces that are in the film and if it's not meant t be a mystery then I have to wonder why go through all this time setting up a villain if your not going to pay it off to me that just seems stupid and it makes the film look bad in my opinion.


Overall yeah this is a pretty bad film and it's one that i'm glad was released straight to Disney+ since the company won't loose that much money by doing that. I can't really recommend this to anyone since I don't think there's anyone out there who will enjoy it since if your a fan of the books your going to get annoyed and if your not a fan of the books your going to find the film hard to follow and the main character unlikable and yes this teaser poster does have the original August 2019 release date since apparently it was delayed almost a full year for some reason and so the film gets a 3 out of 10 from this Disney fan.







 



Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts