Wanted 2008 Film Review


Comic book fans there are alot of comic book movies out there and so it would be understandable if people forgot about one or two of them. This is something that i'm guilty of doing myself but what makes this even worse is the fact that the film i'm reviewing today I actually own this on DVD and the DVD comes with a free copy of the comic book so how in the hell I still ended up forgetting about this film being a comic book movie is beyond me and so here is my review of the 2008 film "Wanted" enjoy guys and girls.

The p,ot of the movie is frustrated accounts manager Wesley Gibson learns that he is the son of a highly skilled assassin and so joins the secret society that his father worked for with the aim of finding his fathers killer. In terms of what I thought about the plot it's very simple and very easy to follow but that's really the best thing that I can say about it since it's also very predictable and so you know where the story is going and that really doesn't make it very exciting to see play out.


Starring in the film are James McAvoy as Wesley Gibson , Morgan Freeman as Sloan and Angelina Jolie as Fox. Also starring in the film are Thomas Kretschmann as Cross , Common as Earl Spellman , Konstantin Khabensky as The Exterminator , Marc Warren as The Repairman , Dato Bakhtadze as The Butcher . Terence Stamp as Pekwarsky and i'm honestly not making this up but future MCU star Chris Pratt as Barry.

Yeah I was just as shocked as all of you were to learn that Chris Pratt was in this movie since he really is unrecognisable in this film but I double checked and it's him. As for what I thought about the acting in the film it's honestly not that bad the actors that you expect a solid performance from do indeed deliver but the downside is the acting isn't that good either and so you end with some really odd performances from the cast.


Like I said this film is based on the comic book miniseries of the same name by writer Mark Millar and artist J. G. Jones and published by Top Cow with issues being released between December 2003 and February 2005. From what I can tell this six issue miniseries has nothing in common with the actual movie outside of the characters but i've not read the whole series and so I can't say for sure what was adapted from the comics and what wasn't.


This film does have a few scenes that are very hyper stylised and those honestly work to the film's advantage since it gives the film more of it's unique identity. In fact I wish that all of the action scenes carried this unique visual look with them but sadly they don't and so while they are indeed exciting to see visually they look like any other action scenes from any other action movie which is a shame because the action can be quite good but i'll get more into that later on in the review.

Let us take a second to talk about the characters in the film starting with our main character of Wesley Gibson as played by future  the future Charles Xavier James McAvoy. In short his character isn't really that likeable. I get that his character is basically sick of life but that doesn't mean that he has to be an a*shole all the time yeah a few things in his life aren't going well but that's still not an excuse either the character honestly should have been more likeable since he's the main hero of the film and not someone you want to see dead.


I honestly feel that the character if Fox as played by the stunning Angelina Jolie should have bee the main character of the film. Since her character is actually likeable I didn't want to see anything bad happen to this character because I actually liked her and because we actually got to find out a bit about her which made her seem more human something which didn't happen with Wesley but for some reason she's a side character in  this film.

This film is an hour and fifty minuets roughly long and you really do feel it in alot of places during the film. I don't see why this film needed to be nearly two hours long when it only has enough story to be at least an hour and a half , but since it's nearly two hours we get a painfully long training montage that goes nowhere followed by another painfully long training montage that once again goes absolutely nowhere.


Now then boys and girls this is an action film and so that means that we have to talk about the action in the film itself. I honestly feel that the action was the best part about the film simply due to how crazy creative they can get , it's always seeing the character getting a bullet to turn midair and hit someone around the corner , also helping the action is the fact that we get some really cool and creative visuals and like I said they help give the film a unique identity.


Overall this is a pretty decent film that is very entertaining especially during the action scenes but that's the nicest thing that I can say about the film. This film is also really freaking forgettable even right now i'm struggling to remember anything about the film , plus like I said the film does on for far two long in my opinion as such I can't really recommend this film to anyone since I can see people getting bored very quickly as such the film gets a 5.5 out of 10 from me.




 



Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts