Shrek 2 Review


Film fans does anyone remember when the Shrek sequels were actually good well I do and I thought that i'd take a look at the good sequel. I'll be the first to admit that i've not seen this film for well over a decade but I do remember owning it on DVD and I remember watching the Far Far Idol short alot as well and so when choosing to review this movie it was like I was seeing it again and so here is my review of Shrek 2.

The plot of the film is newlyweds Shrek and Fiona are invited to the kingdom of Far Far Away to meet Fiona's mother and father only to get up in a plot conducted by the fairy godmother. I honestly feel that the plot wasn't that bad it was something that advanced the overall story as well as well as the characters which is something that any good sequel should always do as well as tell a great story and this film does that in my opinion.


Reprising their roles are Mike Myers as Shrek , Eddie Murphy as Donkey and Cameron Diaz as Princess Fiona Aron Warner as Big Bad Wolf , Cody Cameron as Pinocchio and The Three Little Pigs , Christopher Knights and Simon J Smith as Three Blind Mice and Conrad Vernon as Gingerbread Man, Muffin Man, Mongo, Cedric and Announcer. Together they are joined by Julie Andrews as Queen Lillian , Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots , John Cleese as King Harold , Rupert Everett as Prince Charming and Jennifer Saunders as Fairy Godmother.

Now I did enjoy the acting in this film and yes I know that I say that alot but it's honestly true and as to be expected I liked the acting from the returning cast the most. That's not to say that the new actors are bad far from it but the returning actors know there characters alot better and thus they would know how their characters would react to certain situations.


The animation I assume was done by either PDI or DreamWorks Animation I say assume because I can't fact check it right now as my laptop is currently restarting. My own personal issues aside I thought that the animation in the film was honestly really good with alot of the characters looking really life like and in my opinion the best looking of all the animal characters in easily Puss In Boots because you can see each strand of fur on him.

That statement is especially true for the human characters because while the first film had some human characters in the film there wasn't that many. Here tho there is alot more of them and they do look really life like which is something that I can see alot of people being put off by but I honestly didn't mind them that much but with that being said I would have preferred it if they had a slight cartoonish look to them.


Now while I do get the idea behind turning Shrek into a human the design for human Shrek I thought was rather off putting. He's meant to look handsome and not look like he stept out of the playstation 2 game would it really have killed the film makers to make human Shrek more handsome since that's the whole idea in the first place this is a case where the making the character looked more cartoonish would have worked in the films favour.

The potion that Shrek and Donkey drink does also raise some questions. We know that the potion effects human couples but does it also effect dragon like actually think about the potion doesn't say that it just effects humans so we there for have to assume that it works for all species this movie raises questions I never knew I wanted answers to and sadly we never get any kind of answers to those questions.


Let's talk about the fairy godmother for a second because let's be honest she's one of the characters who steal the show in this film. I loved her she is basically like a reality TV star in that every loves her but no one really knows why they love her and she's always putting on a show which made her a fun character in my opinion plus making a character who's mostly known for being a good guy into the villain is a great idea.

The one scene which perhaps shows that the best in my opinion is the "Holding Out For A Hero" scene. That scene is just so fun and if I'm being honest here it was also really epic with the song and the visuals matching perfectly the only real issue that I have with the scene is that it's to short that's how much I loved the scene and how much I wanted to see it continue because it was really that fun and epic.


Now then since this is a comedy that does mean that we gave to talk about the comedy in the film which I felt was kind of hut and miss. There are alot of references to other fairy tales and that's really the films only source of humour and that does get tiresome after awhile and there's fart jokes and as you guys know I hate fart jokes there nothing more then a cheap way to get a few laughs and nothing more.


Overall out of all the Shrek sequels this is easily the best one since it advances the story and the characters. That said it's not a perfect film with alot of my issue coming down to creepy looking human Shrek and fart jokes and so the film gets,a 6.5 out of 10 from me.This was a fun film to watch and it's easily the best Shrek sequel and so if there are any of you that want to show this to any of your smaller relatives then I say go for it.



Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts