Judy SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Review


Film fans as you'll no doubt know I very rarely review biopics and that's because I see no point in reviewing it since you know how the story ends. Well i'm making an exception for this film not only because it's a film i've been looking forward to seeing but also because when watching the trailers for this film I honestly wanted to go and see the film that's how good it looked in my opinion and so here is my review of Judy.

The plot of the film is after a long showbiz career Judy Garland arrives in London for a five week run of shows while struggling to come to terms with a lot of personal issues. Now i'll admit to not really being a fan of Judy Garland's and so for me this story was really good because I never really knew this side of her the only side I knew was the more glamorous side of her life and so I have to thank the film for telling a story that highlights what demons she was dealing with later on in her life both personal and professional.


Starring in the film is Renée Zellweger as Judy Garland , Darci Shaw as young Judy Garland , Finn Wittrock as Mickey Deans , Rufus Sewell as Sidney Luft , Michael Gambon as Bernard Delfont , Jessie Buckley as Rosalyn Wilder , Bella Ramsey as Lorna Luft , Royce Pierreson as Burt , Arthur McBain as Askith , John Dagleish as Lonnie Donegan , Gemma-Leah Devereux as Liza Minnelli and David Rubin as Noel.

The acting in the film is so freaking good and if i'm being honest that's all I have to say about the acting. Since i'm sure in the coming days and months there will be other reviewers far better then myself who will say alot more but i'm just summing up what there all hopefully going to be saying and if your wondering yes Renée Zellweger is absolutely perfect as Judy Garland infact I honestly feel that she's the only one who could play her.


The film does a good job of highlighting her what I assume was a troubled marriage with musician Mickey Deans. I say assume because like I said before I was never a fan of hers and so I don't know the ins and outs of all her relationships but I can say that the film does a good job of making the relationship feel real and by that I mean you see them have fight and you see them bonding which is something that you don't really see in any film.

SPOILERS START HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I don't really know if you can spoil a biopic since there based on real people at a certain point of their lives. This film does take place in 1969 which after doing some basic level research I found out that that was the year that Judy sadly died and so in this regards the film is also a tragedy because your seeing this person who you've spent the last few hours rooting for and hoping they'll be ok and yet you know that they won't ever be ok and can't entertain people every again.

As with any biopic there's going to be some stuff that either isn't true or if it is true doesn't happen in the way the film presents it. A good example of this is how she meets Mickey in the film she meets him at a party where as in real life it was through a mutual friend who had asked him to deliver some tablets to her and in the film it's hinted that they've only known each other a few weeks before getting married where as in real life it was at least two or three years.


This is going to sound like an odd thing to say but one of the things that I didn't like about the film is that i gave me exactly what i wanted. Yes I know that's an odd thing to say but everything I wanted from this film it gave it to me and so there was no surprise left there was nothing that caught me of guard and nothing that made me see this person in a different light and so some surprises would have been nice.

The film doesn't end with her death which I honestly expected to be the case since it would be a very downbeat ending. At the same time tho I can't help but wonder how different the whole film would have been if it was building up to her death to me it would have made the film feel more tragic then it already is because your going into it knowing that she's going to die but on the other hand it would have lent it self to a really nice dramatic scene.


Wow can Renee sing I had no idea she could and if this is the film to prove then i'm glad she could since this film really does rests on the fact on if she can sing or not. Judy had a very large voice and that meant she could hit higher notes and well Renee can't quite hit the same notes she does a good enough job that you honestly forgive her for that fact and yes she does sing the world famous "Over The rainbow" even tho it's just a small portion of it.

SPOILERS END HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Overall if your a Judy Garland fan then chances are your going to be seeing this film anyway but i'd even recommend this film to the non fan because that's how good it is and so the film gets a 9 out of 10 from me. 








Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts