Fanboys Review


I'm a huge Star Wars fan i've seen all of the movies and i'm currently in the process of picking out one of the animated shows to watch and like many of you i'm excited for The Mandalorian coming this November to Disney+. The film i'm about to review today is a film that i've seen countless times over the years and it's one that i always find myself watching whenever i'm in need of a decent laugh and as of this month the movie is technically over ten years old so here is my review of Fanboys.

The plot of the movie is a group of friends try to sneak into Skywalker ranch to see a copy of Episode 1 The Phantom Menace since of their own won't be around to see it when it comes out. I have to say when I think of a film about Star Wars fans that's co-written by the creator of The Goldbergs this is the story I think of and it really does feel like a story for Star Wars since who hasn't dreamt of breaking into Skywalker ranch at some point and it helps that the pacing of the film is honestly really good.


Starring in the film is Jay Baruchel as Windows , Uncle Marv as Harold "Hutch" Hutchinson , Sam Huntington as Eric Bottler , Chris Marquette as Linus , Kristen Bell as Zoe , David Denman as Chaz , Christopher McDonald as Big Chuck , Billy Dee Williams as Judge Reinhold , Danny Trejo as The Chief , Ethan Suplee as Harry Knowles and Seth Rogen in three roles as Admiral Seasholtz / Alien / Roach.

There's also a ton of fun cameos from the likes of Carrie Fisher, Jason Mewes, Kevin Smith, Jaime King, Danny McBride and Ray Park. In terms of what i thought about the acting in the film it was honestly really good Dan Fogler is so funny in this film at some point all of the actors prove to me how funny they are and that is also true for Seth Rogen who plays technically three characters in the film and he makes each character so different from the other two.


For those of you that don't know this is a picture of Steven Brill who's directed films like Little Nicky and was a director on Movie 43. Now with credits like those you'd think he'd know not to insult your core audience and not to edit out a key plot line but nope because this guy when he was in charge of reediting the film he removed the whole cancer plot line which is a huge thing since it's the characters motivation for going on this journey anyway and he once called a fan dumb and threatend to hunt them down all of this was for what I can assume is no reason at all.

If your not a fan of the film your in charge of reediting then fine but don't also insult the people who are going to be paying to see it. That right there is just a bad idea because your making angry the people who are going to decide if your movie is a hit or not it would have been one thing if he was just doing this for a paycheck but by calling your fans dumb and threatening to hunt them down that's just disrespectful.


As you'd expect there are alot of references to Star Wars and I honestly feel that the one in the picture is perhaps the best one in my opinion. That being said there are alot more references which are alot more subtle like there's a coffee shop very early on called Java The Hutt which I never noticed when I first saw the film when it first came on TV but the second time I saw it I noticed that little reference and I just laughed because it was a cute reference in my opinion.

Now I just checked the films Rotten Tomatoes score and I honestly feel that the critics (32%) for this movie were to harsh on the film or just weren't pardon the pun fanboys. I honestly feel that the audience score (57%) is accurate since this movie isn't really made for people who aren't die hard fans of Star Wars so unless your someone who is a die hard then your not going to get as much out of the film then someone who is.


Now shockingly I spotted a continuity error just after the first fight with the Star Trek fans the character of Windows (Jay Baruchel) doesn't have his glasses on then later on in the same scene he has them. Now this film did have some re-shoots so I have to wonder if that shot was done in the re-shoots but I still have to wonder how they could let a simple thing like that slip through the cracks since it's such a small thing.

It's such a shame that this movie didn't even make a million dollars when it was first released because it is a really good film. If this film was released today with Star Wars now back in the lime light then I honestly feel that it would have made more money but because it was released at a time when no one was talking about Star Wars as much it didn't do as well as it could have done which is a shame because this is a fun film.


If you think that this movie is purely for Star Wars fans then you'd be right because they also do a play on the fact that there's a war between Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans. instead of demonising the Star Trek fans or making them the bad guys which they could have done they actually make that apart of the joke of the film which is something that I really like because I like both Star Wars and Star Trek.

There are alot of really good jokes (not all of which work tho) in the film sadly tho you have to be a Star Wars fan to find this movie funny which goes back to what I said about needing to be a die hard fan to like this movie. I honestly can't pick out any one joke as my all time favourite because I was laughing alot even at the Star Trek jokes and anything that Dan Fogler says or does is just funny as hell in this film I really cannot praise this guy enough he's that funny.


Overall as i've said a few times by now this film is for Star Wars fans and so if your not a Star Wars fan then your not going to enjoy it as much as someone who is a Star Wars fanboy but tho with that being said it is still a fairly bad film and so it gets a 5 out of 10 from me.








Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts