Uglydolls Review


Animation fans there are alot of animated films released each year some good some bad and some that are in the middle. Not all of these films are made by big well known studios either case in point the film i;m about to review today which is the first outing in the realm of animation for STX Entertainment and my god do I have some thoughts about this movie and so here is my review of Uglydolls.

The plot of the movie is a group of six ugly dolls who live in a town called Uglyville go to a school for perfect dolls and while there they have to train in order to go to the human world. I really do wish I could hate the plot of this movie because it would be so easy but this is one of those films that's made for little kids and so the story does reflect that and because of that in the scenes where there should be emotion i'm left feeling nothing.


As to be expected there is alot of celebrities starring in this film and so starring in the film is Kelly Clarkson as Moxy , Nick Jonas as Louis , Janelle Monáe as Mandy , Blake Shelton as Ox , Pitbull as Ugly Dog , Wanda Sykes as Wage , Wang Leehom as Lucky Bat , Gabriel Iglesias as Babo , Emma Roberts as Wedgehead , Bebe Rexha as Tuesday , Charli XCX as Kitty and Lizzo as Lydia. I don't know why kids animated films choose to use celebrities when there are a tone of really good voice actors out there who would not only be cheap but would guarantee good acting but what do I know i'm just a guy with more then one brain cell.

The issue that I have with the acting in this film is the same issue that I have with any film that has celebrity voice actors and that's the fact that you don't here the character speaking you here the famous person. The same thing is true here when I was watching the film I didn't hear Lou talking I heared Nick Jones talking and it's the same thing for all of the characters and so it makes me wonder why film makers choose to use them when all it does is take people out of the film.


The animation was handled by both Original Force and Reel FX Creative Studios otherwise known as Reel FX Animation Studios. In terms of what I thought about the animation seen in the film it's alot better then what i thought it would be but at the same time it's not as good as it perhaps could have been. The whole film feels like if they had spent more time working on the animation then it would have been perfect as it is we get something doesn't really look as good as it perhaps could have looked.

I can't really hate anything that much in the film because like I said it's a film made for little kids and so I can't be that hard on it. That said tho there are some things in the film which are pretty bad like for example the film's message is such a cliche that you know what it's going to be just from watching the trailer. You would have thought that the film makers would have put in some kind of effort into creating an original message but nope they stuck to the same be true to yourself message that every other kids animated film has.


Another thing which I kind of don't like but I fully understand why this is the case is the fact that all of the characters are bland as hell. When I say all of them I really do mean all of them we have your typical bad guy who does evil things because of insert reason here and we have your typical good guy who wants to accomplish a dream there just so boring because we know that the good guy is going to win in the end.

Not helping with the bland as heck bland main characters is the fact that it's also true for the whole cast. Everyone is just bland and I get why they did it it's so kids can protect themselves on to the characters but here's the thing by doing that there not giving the kids something that's more important and that's great characters. If you think about it all of the best animated films have great characters and all of the ones that suck don't.


This is a musical and the film does feature songs written by the films composer Christopher Lennertz and Glenn Slater. In all honesty the songs aren't that bad and they are well sung which is given since half of the cast in this film are singers the issue I have with them is that there very forgettable and just bland but I do give them credit for at least coming up with original songs instead of just turning this into a jukebox musical.

As you'd expect there is some jokes in this film but as you'd expect not all of them are actually funny and that is a huge mega issue. I dont think I laughed at a single joke it was that unfunny to me but there might be a few kids and maybe a few grown ups out there that will find this film funny but in my opinion everything and I mean everything in this film could and more importantly should have been better because kids deserve better.


Overall this is no where near a good movie heck it's just below average in my opinion and what's worse is this is getting a TV series that's due out in a few years on Hulu and this film had involvement from one of the most creative people out there Robert Rodriguez and so with all the faults that this film has it gets a 4.5 out of 10 from me.  





Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts