The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Review


Hello there movie fans after spending weeks of reviewing big blockbuster after big blockbuster I thought i'd bring you something a little bit different it's a small British made film called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society so let's get this review started shall we.

The plot of this movie is a writer forms an unexpected bond with the residents of Guernsey Island in the aftermath of World War II when she decides to write a book about their experiences during the war. I'll admit that while the story is very interesting it can at times be pretty hard to follow heck for this review I had to get the plot summery of IMDB because of the fact it was hard to describe.


Starring in the film is a whole host of British actors and non British actors including Lily James , Michiel Huisman , Glen Powell , Jessica Brown Findlay , Katherine Parkinson , Matthew Goode , Tom Courtenay and Harriet Jones from Doctor Who. I have to say all of the actors involved with this film do give great performances which for alot of the cast is really to be expected and while doing a bit of research for this review I found out that at some point most of the cast starred in the hit drama Downton Abbey.

When I see a film I usually have an idea of what to expect for example when I see a trailer for a Marvel movie I know what i'm going into and the same can also be said for a Star Wars movie but with this movie even tho i've seen the trailer alot I still had no idea of what I was going into and I liked that because then I could be surprised.


The film was based on the 2008 book of the same name by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows and as far as I can tell just from the Wikipedia page there are a few changes to the book mostly with the character Mark Reynolds but it's nothing that effects the overall story and it's mainly there just to add drama.

This film is listed as a drama and rightfully freaking so because there's a lot of drama in this film and given the fact that this film takes place and 1947 it's to be expected but the film does balance the drama out with alot of funny moments so the film is more of a comedy drama then anything else but when the drama is there you better get reaching for some tissues because you'll need them.


When the trailer for the film came out I saw alot of comments from people who either live in are or from Guernsey and they mostly said the same thing "There wasn't a single frame of this movie shot here" while i've never been to Guernsey in my life I do kinda get where they are coming from because if an island has it's name in the title then why shouldn't the makers of the film go the extra mile and film there but looking at it from the film makers point of the view they might have had discussions to film there but for whatever reason they might have been denied or they might have not had it in the budget which is why they mostly filmed in Devon and London.

What did shock was how few people where in the screening of the film that me and a family member went to in total excluding myself and the family member there was three people this shouldn't really need to be said but you should support your countries film industry since you could be missing out on a lot of great films and if that means travelling an extra five minuets then so be it don't just watch the big American films go and watch the small British films and if you are an American who lives in America go and watch a small indie film.


Overall this film is really freaking good and if your in Britain I suggest you go and watch this movie sadly tho if your in America there's no release date yet but that could very change this movie gets a solid 8.5 out of 10 from me.





Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts