Steptoe And Son Film Review

 


In the seventies and to some extent nowadays it wasn't that uncommon for a popular British sitcom to be adapted into a feature length film. Since i've made it a bit of a habit of reviewing these film adaptations I thought that i'd review a film that I really haven't seen that's being adapted from a TV show that I barely saw growing up and so then join me as I review the film that made one of it's stars Harry H. Corbett happy with the freaking film in question being called simply just "Steptoe And Son" enjoy.

The plot of this film is when his son Harold decides to get married his father Alfred decides to do everything that he can to stop the two from getting married. Now then interms of what I personally thought / felt about the actual plot that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film well then in all honesty I in all honesty personally thought / felt that the actual plot that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film was in all honesty shockingly good and was a damn sight better then what it had any freaking right to be in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.



Starring in this film is Wilfrid Brambell as Albert Steptoe , Harry H. Corbett as Harold Steptoe and Carolyn Seymour as Zita. Also starring in this film is Arthur Howard as Vicar , Victor Maddern as Chauffeur , Fred Griffiths as Barman , Joan Heath as Zita's Mother , Fred McNaughton as Zita's Father , Lon Satton as Pianist , Patrick Fyffe as Arthur , Patsy Smart as Mrs. Hobbs , Mike Reid as Compere , Alec Mango as Hotel Doctor , Michael Da Costa as Hotel Manager , Enys Box as Traffic Warden and Barrie Ingham as Terry.

Now then interms of what I personally thought / felt about the actual acting that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film well then  in all honesty I in all honesty personally thought / felt that the actual acting that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film was in all honesty really good. Which given that this films two main stars are reprising their roles from the TV show and are a pair of really actors isn't that surprising at all in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.



For those of you that don't know this film is an adaptation of the 1962 BBC sitcom of the exact same name. With this film being a fairly good representation of what the show is about which for a film adaptation of a TV show is very rare thing to find and it really does help that this film feels very much like an episode of the show instead of taking place within it's continuity which was very common place for an adaptation of a TV show and it's something that while it does open up to new story ideas it also feels disrespectful to the fans of the show in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.


The show really couldn't go that much into the relation between Harold and his father Albert just due to the time limit of each episode. However with this film they really do go into that relationship and that was something that I really liked about this film since it gave us something that the TV show simply couldn't give us and that thus gave us a reason to go and see this film in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.

Like I said at the start of the review this film made star Harry H. Corbett happy since his character of Harold could finally get some character development. Not only that but Harry H. Corbett really did see himself as a serious actor and he felt that this role was beneath him because over time it really did limit the types of roles that he was being offered and this film gave him the chance to show us what he could really do as an actor in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.


As with alot of films it seems this film wouldn't have been made today simply because of one joke in the film. I'm not going to say what the joke is but if you look at the above picture you can kind of work out what the joke in question is and while it's a fairly funny joke it's also one that would stop a film like this one from being today just because alot and I mean alot of people would get so upset about this film in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.

Now then this film has / had an exact grand total running time of exactly one hour and thirty six minuets and fifty one seconds. Which out all these adaptations that i've watched does make it one of the more longer ones which doesn't really work well enough to this films credit since it really doesn't have enough there interms of plot to cover that long of a running time and as such this film could have done with loosing at the very least ten minuets of film just to make this film run at a more smoother pace in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.


So now then since this is a comedy film that means that I have to actually talk about the actual comedy that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film well in all honesty I in all honesty personally thought / felt that the actual comedy that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film was in all honesty not that bad. However that's also the issue as this films comedy isn't always that good either with alot of this films jokes being very hit and miss which for a comedy film is not a good thing at all in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.


Overall this film is a really an while it is one of the better British sitcom to film adaptations that i've seen I can't see myself coming back to this film as much as I do On The Buses for example simply because of the fact that this film isn't that fun to watch in my freaking opinions anyways / at least. Now then i've talked about all of the good and as well as all of the bad things that are in this very film in this very review and as such that means that this very film erns itself a grand old score of exactly a 6 out of 10 from me.

Now then as for where I personally got all of the images that I personally used in this very review well then boys and girls and as well as ladies and gentlemen I personally got all of the images that I personally used in this very review from Wikipedia and Google Images. With my personally preferred website to use to get images from this very / particular / exact film being Google Images since alot of the images that are from this film and that are currently still indeed up on Google Images are all really fairly freaking high in quality and as well as being fairly freaking high in definition. 













Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts