Dad's Army 1971 Film Review

 


Film fans believe it or not it was not very uncommon for a popular British sitcom in the 1970's to get a film adaptation infact it was a rather shockingly common thing to have happen. Which brings me to the film that i'm about to review for you all today since this film was released at the very height of that strange and weird British phenomenon and so then join me as I review the film that was based upon a TV show that also got a 2016 film remake with the film in question being called simply just "Dad's Army" enjoy.

The plot of this film is that it's the height of the second world way and the Germans are about to invade Britain and so then it's up to on local Home Guard platoon to help in putting that plan to a complete and total stop for once and for freaking all. Now then interms of what I personally thought / felt about the actual plot that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film in all honesty I in all honesty personally thought that the actual plot that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film was in all honesty really freaking good since the plot of this film did a good of showing us how this platoon got together and a good job of showing what they are like when they are really freaking under pressure in my freaking opinions anyways / at least. 


Starring in this film is Arthur Lowe as Captain Mainwaring , John Le Mesurier as Sergeant Wilson and Clive Dunn as Lance-Corporal Jones. Also starring in this film is John Laurie as Private Frazer , James Beck as Private Walker , Arnold Ridley as Private Godfrey , Ian Lavender as Private Pike , Liz Fraser as Mrs Pike , Bernard Archard as Major General Fullard , Derek Newark as A Regimental Sergeant Major , Bill Pertwee as Hodges , Frank Williams as Vicar , Edward Sinclair as Verger , Pat Coombs as Mrs Hall and Roger Maxwell as General Wilkinson.

Now then in terms of what I personally thought / felt about the actual acting that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film well then in all honesty I in all honesty personally thought that the actual acting that's actually featured / presented to us in this very film was in all honesty not that bad. Which is something that I really did expect to be since film adaptations of 1970 British TV sitcoms very rarely had some actually good acting within them and so then the fact that the acting that's in this film wasn't bad didn't come as a complete and total shock to me in my freaking personal opinions anyways / at least.



So now then this film is being adapted from and based of off the British 1968 BBC TV sitcom of the name. This is a show that I do still watch to this very day even tho the show both started and finished airing before I was even born and yet even I can tell you that this film is a pretty freaking good representation of what the show was and what show could be when it's at it's absolutely best in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.


Now then this film was released in the exact same year as to other massive British films those being the very first film in the On The Buses series and the Sir Sean Connery James Bond epic film Diamonds Are Forever. Which means that of course one film was going to come out of that struggle worse of at the British box office and sadly that film was this film which is a shame because this film really does capture the exact same spirit of the TV show and it could have very easily have been a huge freaking hit at the British box office in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.

So now then I really do love long one shots just due to how technically difficult that they are to pull of and luckily for me this film has not one but two of them. However what makes these long one shots stand out from all of the others is the fact that they are mirror images of each other with the first one being the one that starts the film of proper where very few of the films main cast don't know each other all of that well and the second one being the one at the end of the film where all of this films main cast know each other and are mostly all friends with each other I loved because it really does show how far the characters came in this film in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.


Now then this film does make a few changes to the established canon like showing the Germans and replacing an actress from the show. However one of the changes that I personally didn't like was the fact that they show how the platoon came together and I personally didn't like this idea because if you know your history then you already know how the platoon came together and it's pointless to show us that on screen especially when you could have just shown what the platoon was like during there quote un quote first mission as an actual platoon in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.

So now then while I cannot or even perhaps even do not remember what this films exact running time was I do know that this films exact running time was exactly roughly exactly freaking one hour and thirty minuets. Which is about the right amount of time for a film like this to last and as such having the film last as long as it freaking does is a freaking good thing to me in my freaking personal opinions anyways / at least.


Now then since this film is a comedy film after all that means that I have to actually talk about the actual comedy that's actually featured / presented to us in this film and well then in all honesty I in all honesty personally thought / felt that the actual comedy that's actually featured / presented to us in this film was in all honesty a very hit and miss bag of affairs for me personally. Since there were alot of jokes that might have played out very freaking well infront of a live studio audience but just don't work in a filmed format but there were also some fairly pretty freaking funny jokes that are in this very freaking film as well in my freaking opinions anyways / at least.


Overall this film is a really good film that can be really freaking funny in places but at the exact same time tho it's telling us a rather freaking pointless storyline which we already know the outcome due to the very existence of the freaking Dad's Army TV series in my freaking personal opinions anyways / at least. Now i've talked about all of the good things that are in this very film in this very review and as such that means that this film erns itself a grand old score of exactly a 7 out of 10 from me.

Now then as for where I personally got all of the images that I personally used in this very review well then boys and girls and as well as ladies and gentlemen I personally got all of the images that I personally used in this very review from the official Dad's Army fandom wiki page , Wikipedia and Google Images. With my personally preferred website to use to get images this film being Google Images this is because all of the images that I got and that currently up , featured and on Google Images are all very fairly freaking high in freaking quality and as well as being fairly freaking being fairly freaking high in freaking definition.


















Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts