Trolls World Tour SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Review


Animation fans in what looks like is going to be a rare thing for the next few months at least there is a new animated film out and it's one that i've been looking forward to seeing. I make it no secret to having mixed feelings towards the Trolls franchise with the first film being OK at best but with both the TV special and Netflix series warming me up to the franchise so you just know that I was going to see this film the first chance that I had and so here is my spoiler filled review "Trolls World Tour" enjoy Trolls fans if there any that is.

The plot of the movie is Poppy is now Queen of Troll village and finds out that there are more trolls out there and one of them wants destroy all of the worlds music. Yeah this is pretty much the exact plot you'd think of when you hear the world Trolls 2 and it goes the exact way that you think it would and so while the story is indeed fun I would have liked it if there was a bit more unpredictability to it just to makes things interesting.


Reprising their roles from the first film are Anna Kendrick as Queen Poppy , Justin Timberlake as Branch , James Corden as Biggie , Ron Funches as Cooper and Swedish Pop Duo Icona Pop as Satin and Chenille. Joining them are rock legend Ozzy Osbourne as King Thrash , Rachel Bloom as Queen Barb , rapper Anderson Paak as Prince D , singer George Clinton as King Quincy , singer Mary J. Blige as Queen Essence , singer / actress Kelly Clarkson as Delta Dawn and Sam Rockwell as Hickory.

The acting in the film was honestly really good I haven't seen the first film in a few years so I can't recall what the acting was like in that film nor my thoughts on it. However in terms of this film I thought that the acting was really good even from the people who aren't actors , yeah I have no idea why they hired so many musicians with the exception of Ozzy and Kelly Clarkson none of them make sense in this film given the roles they play.


Of course the animation for the film was handled by DreamWorks Animation and I don't think I need to say what they've worked on. The animation in the film was honestly really good I liked the fact that the film made use of numerous styles of animation with there being alot of cutout animation which was a nice surprise , the CGI quality was really high you can see each strand of hair on all of the trolls and it looks really good.

SPOILERS START HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



One of the things that I hated about the film and i've hated it since the first trailer really is that the fact that go with the cliche of making rock music evil. Rock to some of the greatest groundbreaking songs ever made hell a rock song is known as the greatest song ever made that being Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody so it shocks me that they would go with this cliche especially since rap music has made more songs about breaking the rules and basically being everything that pop music isn't for decades hell one of the great rap songs of all time is called "F The Police" so what does that tell you.

I will admit tho seeing Ozzy playing the king of rock was actually inspired casting and when I saw that's who he was playing I just knew that he was going to kill it and he does it's just a shame that they don't have him singing one his songs which they use in the movie. What would have been awesome at least in my opinion since i'm a fan was if they had Hayley Williams play Queen Barb instead of Rachel Bloom also they missed out on a good joke by not having Tenacious D in the movie.



For some reason they chose to give Cooper a side plot which goes nowhere it starts for no reason and it goes nowhere. Which is a shame because the idea of Cooper looking for trolls just like him could have done well for an episode of the Netflix animated show Trolls: The Beat Goes On but it really shouldn't have been in the second movie since it wastes the character but I guess the film makers had to include him to make the little kids happy.

K-Pop fans will be happy because they openly say that there are k-pop trolls in this movie and they even got a k-pop group to voice that group being Red Velvet. I can just see BTS fans being pretty angry that there all time favourite group isn't included but honestly i'm just happy that k-pop isn't featured that much don't get me wrong I like k-pop but the fans are so freaking annoying especially BTS fans sorry but it's true you are annoying as all hell.


In a rather surprising twist we find out that the pop trolls who are the trolls that Poppy and crew come from aren't as innocent as we were led to believe. We find out that the plan that Queen Barb is doing right now is the same plan that the pop trolls tried years ago but the elder trolls ran of with all of the respective strings for each genre of music , I honestly thought that that was a good twist and it makes me wonder why we don't see more evil pop trolls.

Lets us take a second to talk about the films villain Queen Barb she started out really cool since she doesn't give a damn about anyone but then they ruin her at the end by saying she's only like this because she doesn't have a real friend. Her plan is honestly the best thing about her character at the end simply because she actually has a decent plan and knows the best way to accomplish it which makes her a a fairly decent villain.


Now then guys and girls this film is a musical comedy so let us first talk about the jokes that are in the film. I personally didn't find this film to be as funny as the first one but at the same time the jokes that I didn't laugh at I can see little kids laughing at. That being said there are some jokes that got a chuckle out of me none of which I can shockingly remember since I have a very bad memory but there are no laugh out loud jokes.

Since we just talked about the jokes that are in this musical comedy let us now look at the other half of that and talk about the songs. Since this is a jukebox musical and so all of the songs are covers and some of which are really good and are just awesome to see like the fact that Queen Barb sings "Crazy Train" which makes me wonder why they didn't get Ozzy to sing it since he sung it originally but then there are times where they pick these really weird songs like the fact they have the pop trolls sing "Wannabe" followed by "Who Let The Dogs Out" in the same medoly.

SPOILERS END HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Overall I can't say that this is better then the first film but given how long it took me to even like the first film I can see this one becoming better as time goes on. Incase your wondering how I saw it all i'll say is it's been released in other countries and it includes the phrase "other methods" that's all i'm going to say and I don't condone watching movies that way as for this film tho it gets a 6 out of 10 from me.







Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts