The Grinch 2018 Some SPOILERS Review


Animation fans every year we get tons of Christmas specials but none have stood the test of time quite like How The Grinch Stole Christmas so much so that when it got remade in live action people hated it despite it now becoming a Christmas classic well now it's Illuminations turn so here is my review of The Grinch.

I don't really think I need to tell you what the plot of this film since the story is so well known but I can say that this film adds nothing new to the story at all it's the exact same story told in the exact same way and if you like that story then you'll like the plot of this movie but here's the thing the plot of the original TV special was great for something that was thirty minuets long but it's not great for an hour and twenty minuet movie.


Starring in the movie is Sherlock Holmes as The Grinch , Cameron Seely as Cindy Lou Who , Rashida Jones as Donna Lou Who , Kenan Thompson as Bricklebaum , Angela Lansbury as Mayor McGerkle and Pharrell Williams as the Narrator. When I heard that Benedict was playing The Grinch I knew that there would be at least one actor in the film who would be good and I was right because he is good as The Grinch the rest of the cast for me was pretty meh Kenan Thompson's character was just sort of there and why did they get Pharrell Williams when they could have got someone with some gravitas such as Anthony Hopkins.

What I was hoping that they wouldn't do in the film is one of the few things that they did and that's give The Grinch a backstory we don't need to know why he is the way he is Dr. Seuss didn't give him one the animated special didn't give him one and guess what it worked sometimes not knowing why someone is evil can make for a better film but this film chooses to give him a reason for being evil which in my eyes makes him a less interesting character.


The animation was handled by Illumination and it's one of the few things that the film has been getting praise for and it's not hard to see why since the animation in the film I thought was really good you can see every hair on The Grinch's body and the movements I thought were well done they weren't to zany like in Smallfoot but they were energized enough for little kids to get behind the movie.


Another think that this film does which I think is a mistake is that it shows The Grinch preparing to steal christmas in great detail and that for me is something that we really don't need to see since it just serves as filler all we need to see is him announcing that he's going to do it and then cut to him getting ready to do it that's all you need you don't need to show up trying to get rain dear or him practicing for the big night all that does to me is say that you don't have enough faith in the original story and that you made a mistake by making in an hour and twenty minuets long END OF SPOILERS.

I have to say that there some scenes in this movie that did freak me out a little bit i'm not going to spoil what the scene is but I will say that something like that shouldn't be in a Christmas movie let alone a kids movie when the scene comes up in the movie trust me you all will know it because while it is mostly played for laughs it is a creepy looking scene.


I don't really think that this needs saying since it's in the name of the movie but this is a kids movie so grown ups be ready to see alot of bad jokes which I will get into later and one out dated meme but with that being said the core message of both the book and TV special is still present in this film and unlike the live action remake which butchers that message this film handles it with care.

I really do wish I could talk about the jokes in the movie but I only laughed a handful of times at the beginning and even then that's because the joke was seen in the trailer it's the whole supermarket scene that's the one good joke in the whole movie and it's in all of the trailers. It seems like Illumination is another company that is trying to prove that it's hip and with it by including memes that they kids still like again i'm not going to spoil what it is but it's painfully obvious what meme it is and they repeat that joke alot in the movie.


Now this film does have two soundtrack albums out there one of them is just featuring songs from or inspired by the movie and the other is by the films composer Danny Elfman and if you've seen any Danny Elfman movie then you know what to expect from his score to this movie because there's nothing new heck even the other soundtrack is mostly full of people that only kids will know who are just doing the same stuff that they always do.


Overall this movie does a good job of keeping the message from the book and TV special but it also tells the exact same story while adding nothing new to it little kids might like the film but i'd say stick with the original TV special this film gets a 5 out of 10 from me.





Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts