Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms Review


Anime fans once every so often there comes along a film that the whole community agrees is a great film a few years ago it was Your Name and I truly do believe we have just seen the release of another such film I believe that this is a must watch anime film so here is my review of Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms,

The plot of this movie is an immortal girl finds a baby boy and decides to rise him as her own given that the boys mother has died. That's honestly the best summery I could come up with but it is also the best way to describe the films story there is really nothing bad I can say about the story because I was moved by it that much and that is what a films is meant to do but I will say that this film has about as many endings as Return Of The King.


Starring in the film is Manaka Iwami as Maquia , Miyu Irino as Ariel , Ai Kayano as Leilia , Yūki Kaji as Krim , Miyuki Sawashiro as Racine , Yoshimasa Hosoya as Lang , Rina Satō as Mido , Yōko Hikasa as Dita and Misaki Kuno as Medmel. Wow the actors really did bring in this movie I really do wish I could name who I liked the best but the fact is all of them did such a good job that it would be impossible for me to pick just one.

This film is making history by being if i'm right the first anime to be directed by a woman she is called Mari Okada and if that name rings a bell that's because in Japan she is quite a famous writer having written anime shows such as Selector Infected WIXOSS , Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans and the famous Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day so to say she has some pedigree would be an understatement and after seeing this film I really do want to see more films directed by her.


The animation for this film was done by P.A. Works who have worked on shows such as Charlotte and Sakura Quest and if you've seen either of those shows then you'll know that P.A. always has a high standerd when it comes to there animation and the same is true here because the animation seen in this movie is mind blowing it's not on the same level as Studio Ghibli heck there not even close but this film is really well animated.

Just from the brief summery that I gave you I think you can work out what the heart of the story is it's the relationship between the mother and son and that's something i've not seen in anime before and to me it really is an interesting angle and one that leaves me wondering why other anime shows or movies for that matter havn't done this since this film really does prove that it can work if the script is good enough.


You guys know me I very rarely talk about the backgrounds in either anime shows or movies but some of the backgrounds in this film look like they belong in a painting they are that good and that stunning in my opinion they are on the same level as the backgrounds seen in Your Name that's how good they are.

If your a fan of Ghost In The Shell then you'll be glad to know that Kenji Kawai is doing the music for this film and if you've seen the OG Ghost In The Shell movie then you know how good his music is and the same thing is true here his music makes already good scenes great because the music adds that extra emotion.


I'm not to sure if this counts as a spoiler or not but you very well might need a few tissues handy because this film gets really emotional at points and shockingly none of that comes from the music it comes from the fact that by the time we reach those scenes we've had a lot of time to get to know the characters and so when they go through something tough we really do feel it and for me those scenes worked so well that I was almost about to start crying like full on crying and that for me is a rare thing to have happen but this film came so close to making my cry.


I'm not sure if this true or not but there seems to be a theme in this movie that death is going to happen to us all and if that is so that's a pretty dark theme to have in your movie just to give you an example of what I mean the main girl is immortal thus cannot die the boy she rises isn't immortal and thus she must have to deal with the fact that most of the people she meets will die and I will say if your a dog lover there is a scene in this movie that might make you cry.


Overall if you love anime then chances are your going to be seeing this film anyways but i'd even recommend it to people who don't like anime and this is a film that I can see becoming popular in a mainstream way but it's not a perfect film so it gets a 9 out of 10 from me.

Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts